As an artist I have been doing art commissions for friends, family and even people I don’t know that well for several years.
Creating a successful art commission can be a lengthy process but I have come up with a list of tips to create a faster and more positive process for both the artist and the client.
As a client getting a piece of art commissioned you need to:
- communicate what you want – be clear and specific if you have a vision in mind
- trust your gut-if you don’t feel comfortable with anything -then don’t go ahead with it
- ask for a price estimate if it is not provided to you
- figure out the size of the work you want
- figure out where you will put that piece of art -this can help determine the dimensions and also the style or colours you like – It is helpful for the artist to see a photograph of your space and know what you like (everyone has their own unique design style)
- send inspiration -whether it’s a photograph, colour swatches or a sample of fabric for the curtains that will hang next to the artwork – anything is helpful
- make sure you have done your research- Do you like the artist’s work?
As an artist commissioning a piece of art you should:
- Give a price estimate that is a range from low-high end (this estimate should include your price of materials and YOUR TIME based off the size of the work)
- Give an estimated deadline of when the piece will be finished-make sure this is manageable
- Update the client if you expect to be late, more money etc.
- communicate clearly and ask questions if unsure
- create a sketch or mock up during the consultation process
- ask for photos of the work hanging in the client’s space for your portfolio
I am an artist based out of Waterloo Region, ON Canada- if you are interested in getting a piece of original art made and you are from the area feel free to reach out to me email@example.com and I will forward you a survey to fill out your thoughts on your artwork that you would like commissioned. I can work with you and your budget!
Again if you would like an artwork commissioned by me and you are from the Waterloo Region, ON Canada- feel free to reach out to me firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope to create a piece of art for you one day!